First time tenants in Auckland
If you have never rented before, what are some of the reference documents you will have to supply the owner or agent?
This can seem like a bit of a “Catch 22” – if you have not rented before, so you cannot provide a rental history, so you cannot rent, and so on. Don’t worry. EVERY tenant has rented for the first time in the past, so the problem is solvable.
A property manager’s main concerns when assessing suitability for a property is an applicant’s ability to pay the rent and their ability to care for the property in a suitable manner and in accordance with the terms of the lease.
If you have just sold your home, supply the name and contact number of the agent who handled the sale as a reference point. If you have been in student accommodation, supply the name and contact number of the person responsible for the management of the complex. If you have lived with your parents, you will need personal references and you may choose for a parent to sign the lease in addition to you.
Examples of documentation you can provide that will help make these decisions include:
- Verification of employment
- Verification of income
- Reference from employer or fellow staff member
- Reference from neighbour/teacher/business person/doctor/accountant
- Photo identification – driver’s licence/passport/student ID
- Three personal references – these should not be from relatives
- Last gas/electricity/phone bill or rates notice
- Copy of bank statement
- Registration number of vehicle
- Last address