Today I am going to share a very quick video on how you can obtain and get Real Landlord insurance to protect yourself as a landlord.

We are not talking about building insurance, but we are talking about landlord protection insurance which I have explained and sent emails out about previously.

Landlord protection insurance is an essential cover in property investment. We at Uno have always encouraged our owners to ensure that they have sufficient insurance to meet their risks. We have always recommended Real Landlord Insurance (

If you want more information with regards this insurance please contact them directly. You can place the cover directly from their website. See video attached below on how to do that.

Please be aware that we cannot place cover for you as there are some declarations that you have to answer yourself. If you are unsure if you have the cover or you need information to complete your application, please contact your property manager directly.

  1. What you will need to do is to go to the Real Landlord Insurance NZ website, which is
  2. On the top of the page, you will see where it says Property Owners. Scroll through and click on “Apply Now”.
  3. When the page opens up, you will need to click on the bigger “Apply Now” button on the page, which will load you into the application page.
  4. You will need to fill in your details, especially on those that have an asterisk on it.
  5. Once that is done, please click on the next button.
  6. On the second page, you will be required to answer some declaration questions which are standard practise for insurance companies, which includes if your claim have been declined before, etc etc.
  7. The most important thing that you will need to remember is that you will not be able to get this cover unless you are with an approved Property Management company, and Uno is one of the approved companies.
  8. The second page will also have the question of who is your Property Management company, and you will have to enter in our name, Uno Property Management Ltd, which will enable them to place the cover and have Uno Property as the contact person for the property.

They also have a PDF version of the form if you do not wish to apply online.

  1. Scroll up to the top of the page where it says “Property Managers”, and there will be a link for “Application Form”. Once you click on there, you will see the different level of covers and you will simply need to go down the page where it says “Downloadable Forms”, and click to download the PDF Application Form.
  2. Again, all the fields will need to be filled in, and remember to write down Uno Property Management as the Property Management company.
  3. If your rent is below $1000, which in most cases it will be, you will need to tick the Classic Policy.
  4. If your rent is between $1000 – $2000, you will need to select Premier.
  5. On the bottom of page 1, you will see the questions that mentioned earlier, which you will have to answer. Hopefully they will all be “No”’s from you.
  6. Then you will need to sign and date the document before sending it to the email address listed on the top of the document, which is Alternatively you can forward the PDF to us, and we will pass it along to Real Landlord.

The premiums are

  • Classic – $360
  • Premier – $580

Whether this insurance will cover you in the case of COVID-19 causing tenants unable to pay rent?

We have been told by the Ministry that we cannot evict tenants at this moment.

Best of luck, and we will be here with you the whole way through. We are all currently working from home and we are only a phone call away.

Thank you, and see you next time!